Monday, December 22, 2008

Climb Every Mountain

Another momentous event has occurred at the Bumgarner house. Lydia, much to our great surprise, has figured out how to climb up and down the stairs all by herself! And while we are so very, very proud of our brave girlie, we must admit that this amazing feat she's managed to accomplish does make our hearts quake a little with apprehension. She is just so small...and it's a long way down...and...yikes!

Here's some video of her going up the stairs:


And going down the stairs:



You know, I actually felt a little sad as I was putting the baby gate away tonight. It's such a milestone, and it means she's moved yet another step further ahead on the road to independence. A step further away from needing me so much which is something I never thought I'd miss. *Sigh* Our baby is growing up way too fast!

5 comments:

Kindergarten Team said...

Meghan, you are BRAVE!!! I am still having trouble putting the baby gate away at 20 months (Kayin is lil' Ms. Independent herself)!! I think ever since watching her take that tumble down the stairs about three months ago I am hesitant. WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU GUYS!! It will be SOOOO much fun to have all the kids together!

Emily said...

She is so sweet!I have to admit it made my heart quake a bit when she got to the top of the stairs. But she does a great job! Those milestones can be tough. Especially when they take you by surprise :) Can't wait to see you all SOON!!

Anonymous said...

Lydia freaks me out. Every time she pauses on the way up, I'm thinking...here we go - but she's pretty good at it and I'm way proud.

Meghan said...

Jessica -
She actually has already fallen down the stairs...long, long ago when she first started crawling before we were able to get the gate up. Since that dreadful moment, she normally stays clear of the stairs...the bottom step is as far as she usually goes. I thought for sure that she'd be well into adolescence before she attempted the stairs again which is why it's so surprising to us that she worked up the courage to figure it out! She's a feisty, brave, go get 'um type, I think (where she gets that I don't know. It doesn't come for me, that's for sure). There isn't much that fazes her as we're finding out. She just gets right in there!

Our stairs are such an integral part of our house, it's good for her to be able to navigate them by herself at a young age. I'm sure more tumbles are to come, but that's part of the learning process!

Sarah said...

She is getting SO big, and she does an amazing job all on her own. I really wish Avery knew how to do this. She just wants to take one big step off not realizing she will fall all the way down! Great job Lydia (maybe you can teach AJ now!)