Saturday, June 28, 2008

Beach Bunnies

Today we took our first trip of the summer to the swimming beach at Cuivre River. Is there anything better than being on a beach in the late afternoon with wet sand squishing between bare toes and children shrieking and splashing, watching the shadows grow longer and longer across the water as the day fades into evening?

Lydia couldn't wait to get into her monstrosity of a sea horse inflatable. Yikes! I had no idea that thing was so huge until we actually put air in it! I think there was probably room for both the girls in there. Iris floated around in her blue hippo. We seem to have a partiality to inflatable hippos at our house. Last year, we had a crazy yellow one which apparently didn't live to see a second summer. Todd swears I must have thrown it out during one of my household purges, but surely I would have saved that, right? Anyhow, it didn't make it hence the blue one we now possess.



Iris and I also hunted for shells along the shore which always thrills me for some reason. Maybe it's a connection to some lovely childhood memory. We took a lot of camping trips near rivers when I was little.

We headed home as the sun was setting. Happy lovelies in the backseat, Bon Iver on the radio.....ah, summer.....

7 comments:

Kindergarten Team said...

Too cute...I will have to get Kayin's uploaded with her turtle. Same story, didn't realize the size of that thing until we put her in. However, her whole 19 pounds doesn't look large next to most things! Oh yea, I tried uploading a video from our camera...it didn't work so I am reading into it!

Emily said...

Oh Meghan! What a fun day! I love that you have the river to go down to. Think of the memories your girls will have.

You know how we were talking today about who Iris looks like? There is something familiar about how she looks in today's pictures. A vague shadow of someone on our side! And Lydia - oh why does she grow so fast!

I'm glad you had such a wonderful day!

Sara said...

wow, what a fun trip!! we LOVE the beach--it's SO summery:) glad you guys are having a fun weekend!!! i love how you call your girls "lovelies." that is SO cute!!!:)

Hope said...

Okay, I lived there for how long and I never knew there was a beach there? You are so much more cultured than we are! I loved the floatie stage where you could put them in there and they would gleefully play a sweet forever without wanting out! The hippo and the seahorse are so cute, how did we live without such things as children? Who had the honor of blowing them up? It's always worth the near pass-out to see your kids have so much fun!

Meghan said...

It WAS a fun day....hopefully the first of many at the beach this summer. Todd had the honor of blowing up the floaties - what a nice daddy! I suggested that he use the air compressor, but being the manly man he is (hee, hee), he opted for doing it the hard way and did it in, like, two minutes!

Anonymous said...

Manly man I am.

My favorite part of the day was spinning Iris around in the water and hearing her shout A-GAIN!!! 100 times.

What is it about little kids that can spin around in a circle 50 times and not puke, but parents can't turn more then 3/4 of a turn without feeling like we're going to fall over?

Vicki B. said...

Oh I wish I could have been there.
What fun you must have had!
The girls are so cute in their
tubes. I can just see Todd and
Iris in the water. Jen's girls
had Treyton giggling uncontrollably
yesterday. It made me think of the
video with Iris and Lydia in the
pool.