Well, we are now officially parents of a preschool-attending girlie. Iris' first day of school was today!
Here's a little glimpse of how she felt about going:
Here's a little glimpse of how she felt about going:
Isn't she sweet? She has been over the moon with excitement about starting school for the last week - ever since we went to her Open House and got to meet her teacher and see her classroom. Last night we packed up her school supplies into her brand new Tinkerbell backpack and laid out her special "first day" clothes (which she picked herself), and she could barely contain herself. She was so cute and so grown up and yet so very heartbreaking at the same time.
As for myself, I don't think I was feeling quite as cheery this morning as she was about the prospect of her going to school, you know, she being my baby and all. Little flashback movies of her life up until now were playing through my head all throughout breakfast and getting dressed. I know, it's crazy, it's only preschool. I can't imagine how I'll feel when she goes to kindergarten...and beyond...yikes!
Some First Day photos:
Some First Day photos:
Lining up with the rest of her class to head off into the Land of the Big Kids.
She did great and nary a tear besides her mommy's was shed. Thankfully, I wasn't the only mommy, or daddy, for that matter, who got a little teary and choked up. Isn't it funny how the kids usually do fine and the parents struggle? And Lydia, oh poor lonely girlie - we barely made it outside before her little forehead wrinkled up into a frown and she said, "Where I-is? Where I-is, mommy?" This was the constant refrain of the morning as we ran some errands to fill the time. She wasn't very pleased about "I-is" being missing.
And so we survived our first day. Things went pretty well, I think. She liked playing on the playground, having a snack, and the coloring game they did with a school bus. There was only a minor altercation at the end. Iris had a bit of a meltdown when it came time to hand over her school supplies. Apparently, I had neglected to go over with her that once she actually got to school the supplies could come out of her bag to share with her teacher and the other kiddos. She had a hard time budging. According to her teacher, her mommy told her they were to stay in her bag and were not to play with. Oops!
She did great and nary a tear besides her mommy's was shed. Thankfully, I wasn't the only mommy, or daddy, for that matter, who got a little teary and choked up. Isn't it funny how the kids usually do fine and the parents struggle? And Lydia, oh poor lonely girlie - we barely made it outside before her little forehead wrinkled up into a frown and she said, "Where I-is? Where I-is, mommy?" This was the constant refrain of the morning as we ran some errands to fill the time. She wasn't very pleased about "I-is" being missing.
And so we survived our first day. Things went pretty well, I think. She liked playing on the playground, having a snack, and the coloring game they did with a school bus. There was only a minor altercation at the end. Iris had a bit of a meltdown when it came time to hand over her school supplies. Apparently, I had neglected to go over with her that once she actually got to school the supplies could come out of her bag to share with her teacher and the other kiddos. She had a hard time budging. According to her teacher, her mommy told her they were to stay in her bag and were not to play with. Oops!
5 comments:
Oh how I feel your pain!!! Noah's first day is next Monday. We enrolled him at Willot road. He gets so excited everytime we drive by it and loved his open house.
I like how you guys got to go in with her and see her off. Due to security reasons, at Willot you literally drop them off at the curb and a 5th grader walks them to their class. My heart stops just thinking about it!!!
I'm so glad she likes it so much. Aren't the growing up way too fast!
Oh my, can't hardly believe she's
off to school already. The video was so cute and she was so excited.
It does bring a tear to my eyes too. Poor Lydia doesn't know what's happening but I'll bet she'll enjoy some one on one time with mommy.
Oh how did I miss that Iris' first day was TODAY??!! She looked adorable, although tiny with that huge backpack on her back! I love her all pink attire!
It is always harder for the parents, and the siblings. Especially when they are such great friends. I'm so glad that she had a wonderful day - even with the supplies - at least you know she listens to what you say!
Iris looks like such a big girl! It's hard to believe that she's old enough to go to school all by herself.
I can empathize with you, Iris, and her teacher about her school supplies. I ran into a few little ones who listened really well to their mamas when it came to school supplies!
Oh Meghan, she is such a big girl! Just keep a video of this so you can watch it on those days when she refuses to get up for school! I watched this with Kayin and she asked when she could go to school with Iris! :)
Post a Comment