Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Perfect Place

The weather's been so nice here the past few days, and we've been taking full advantage of the shade we now have on our patio underneath our deck. It seems like it's been a long time since we've been able to play outside in the middle of the day without getting scorched by the sun or melting into a puddle from the humidity.

Iris has found that the nook below the stairs makes a lovely spot for her dollhouse or to play donut shop with Lydia (Em - it may actually be Lydia who plays ponies with Ava when we come to visit - note the pink pony she's holding in her hand):




Lydia likes to hang out on her blanket with a scattered variety of her favorite toys. Sometimes she takes off exploring which can be interesting - I found her sucking on a piece of mulch just yesterday. And I won't go into the episode we had a few weekends ago when she tasted the Miracle Gro Gardening Soil. Yikes! If, in the near future, she has a freakish growth spurt, we won't be surprised! I have a feeling she's going to be the sort of girl who won't be satisfied just taking our word for it - silly La that she is:


(I just noticed that she's still holding the pink pony. I think Ava and Lydia might be kindred spirits.)

And this is just random...but I think it's so cute. Lydia figured out how to crawl underneath our bed this morning. I thought it was super fun when Iris figured out how to do this back in the day, and I've been wondering how long it would take Lydia to discover how to get under there:



Isn't she sweet? She's everywhere these days - our little adventurer!

10 comments:

Hope said...

The picture under your bed is so cute, and I'm marveling at how clean it is under there!

I'm hoping to save up enough money to add a deck and patio in our backyard next spring so that we can enjoy it next summer, looks like a fun place to hang! I also want to find a way to hang a hammock to sit and read on too!

Ladybug Lady said...

Thanks for all your help with the excercise blog. A friend that moved away wants to do it with me. I am kind of excited. Your kids are beautiful, I have been reading your blog for awhile now, but until I signed up with an account, I could not say anything. I am so happy for you and your family. I was so excited, when Emily told me about Todd and his new direction. I still remember him getting on our bus with his smile and backpack on with his bangs spiked up. It blows my mind on how time flys. Congrats to him, and hope you check in on my blog now and then. Thanks take care and God Bless!!

Anonymous said...

My comments:

I love the donut shop.

I can't believe Lydia is crawling under the bed already. When I first saw the picture, I thought it was an old one of Iris.

We too need a hammock.

Should I bring back the spiked bangs?!

Emily said...

Oh these are the sweetest photos! I LOVE Lydia under the bed! And to see Iris' little space under the deck- how fun!

Speaking of kindred spirits, Ava was the one that I had to call poison control for because I discovered here digging fertilizer out of the lawn, munching away.

Ava will play ponies with anyone, so the more the merrier! I love it!

Meghan said...

Hope-Stuff under the bed(besides dust bunnies...vacuuming under there is not high on my list of priorities!) goes against my clutter-free mantra!

I feel like this fall will be the first time we'll be able to use our backyard to its fullest potential now that we have a deck! We got a really awesome deal on it...and the patio! That helps!

Marilouise- Thanks for stopping by - I'm excited that you've joined the blog world - you have beautiful kiddos too.:) I'll definitely be checking it often!

I wondered if you remembered "Little Toddy". How vain he was about his hair back then (hee, hee). Not so much now! Time DOES go by way too fast! He's super excited about this new direction...

Em-I forgot about Ava eating fertilizer...they have more in common than I thought...maybe I better get the number for poison control handy just in case...

Sarah said...

I LOVE the picture of Lydia under the bed. (Which your bed must be really tall).

I love the creativeness of being under the deck stairs. I think our next project will be a patio (Kris would probably kill me for saying so right now). We'll recruit Todd when we do so - HA!!!

Meghan said...

Sarah- Our bed IS really tall! I swear sometimes we should have stairs to get up there!:)

Yeah...you might want to let him recover from the playset project first...maybe next spring he'll be ready??

MamaHen Em said...

I just noticed in your sidebar that Iris is reading Dinosaur Roar! Don't you LOVE that book? That was one of the first ones O was able to read to me!

Sara said...

oh, how CUTE!!! the deck and patio look like SO much fun!! well, i remember your patio, and it IS fun, but the deck must make it all the better!... we walk right out onto our patio and only have one level, but there is something SO fun about a deck to me (shane feels the same way...) funny, huh?... i can't believe how BIG lydia is getting!!! she looks SO adorable! and it truly is pretty crazy how TALL your bed is! (do you have a step stool?? i would need one!:)

Meghan said...

Em- We DO love Dinosaur Roar! There's a dinosaur exhibit at our zoo that I would love to take Iris to this fall. Do you remember Morril Hall? I so wish they had something like that here!

Sara- We don't have a step stool....we just take a running leap! (just kidding).

I'm actually more of a patio girl. It took me a long time to come around to the idea of having a deck. But it turned out great, and I'm loving having one!