Monday, June 30, 2008


Todd's coffeepot fizzled out this past week, so he and Iris took a little trip to Wal-mart to replace it. As they were meandering their way through the store on the way to small appliances, Todd got a small glimpse of what his life is going to be like with two daughters:

Iris: (sweetly) "Oh, look. Bras for little girls!" (I think she was meaning the teeny little pre-teen bras)

Todd: (in disbelief) Um...yeah!.....they sure are.....let's keep walking!

Iris: (wistfully) I sure wish I was big enough to wear a bra.

I"m pretty sure Todd sprouted a few new gray hairs at the thought of his three-year old daughter being big enough someday to wear a bra. And oh, my dear, dear baby.....I hope it's a long time before we have to think of that because right now I can't bear the thought of you growing up!

7 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Meghan! How fast they want to be big. And I can just imagine Todd having that conversation - in the bra section no less! Does it ever make you feel a teensy bit sorry for our dad, that he had FOUR daughters who had to grow up?

Lisa said...

I remember having a very similar conversation with my dad, but I saved him the humiliation of doing it in public. Instead, I just brought up the topic at the dinner table!!!

Meghan said...

Lisa- Too funny...I can just picture his face...Oh, it can't be easy to be a dad to girls and have conversations like this! I'm just hoping Todd isn't the only one at home when she REALLY becomes a woman (if you know what I mean). Having to explain that would probably send him over the edge!
Em-I DO feel a little sorry for him....I'm sure he longed at times to get away from all the drama and girliness. Poor dad!

Coach A said...

It is so funny how fast little girls want to grow up... When she is finally old enough to wear one she is going to wish that she did not have to! I mean the man that created bras was truly mad at his wife or girlfriend!

Sara said...

oh meghan, this is GREAT! i think this might just be my favorite iris story so far!.... i keep laughing.. and laughing.... i'm just picturing the scene... we had a (sort of) similar conversation w/ zion just yesterday... but it's truly not printable or blog-able, if you know what i mean.... anyway, SO funny!! they do grow up SO fast!!... i can't believe that in a year, paige might be saying things like that! AAHHHH!!!:)

Sarah said...

I read this out loud to the "Foster" clan here at the Lake and we couldn't help but laugh. Rick kind of cringed at that thought of having that talk with a daughter (of course he raised three boys!) Also, I've read Todd's blog on Running - I am so proud of him. He's doing really well. Tell him to keep up the good work!

Vicki B. said...

What a riot! I can just see Todd's
expression and wiggling his way
out of that one! Mckensi was trying
to talk me into getting her one
and I thought why would she even
want one! But little girls are
growing up fast these days.
Iris is so cute-she comes up with
some goodies sometimes!