Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Day Five: Odds and Ends

Lydia's personality has exploded the past few days. Remember how before you left we were joking that you would come back, and she would be totally different? I think you are going to find that to be true. She is squealing, screeching, singing, and babbling all day long. And so opinionated - there's no question now about what she wants and doesn't want. Can I tell you how much I love her? It's like, she was just this baby that hung out and ate and slept and didn't do much of anything for months, and then suddenly seemingly overnight she became this person. I've been loving it! She wriggles and squirms and twists and rolls - her favorite thing to do lately is to push up as far as she can on her arms and then she lets go and rocks like a little airplane on her belly. Be prepared to be amazed by a whole new Lydia when you get home.

This week, Iris has been obsessed with marriage. I'm not sure what sparked this interest - maybe Skunk getting married on Little Bear? I don't know. The other morning, she tells me, "When I get bigger, I'm going to get a beautiful dress and marry my daddy!" Isn't that sweet? I laughed and explained that her daddy is already married - to me. Is she really big enough for us to be having these conversations? As much as I think it's silly and cute, a little bit of panic sets my heart racing. Will I know what to tell her when the REALLY big discussions come around? Sometimes I don't feel equipped for this job.

Iris: (observing me juggling a load of things up the stairs) Mommy, you need octopus arms so you can carry everything.

Wouldn't that be fabulous? Think of the multi-tasking I could do!

Lydia and I were sitting on the driveway a few days ago while Iris bopped around the cul-de-sac with P. At some point, he went and got his new basketball out to show her.

"Mommy! He's got a SPONGEBOB ball! Oh, ma-a-an! A SPONGEBOB ball, Mommy!! We don't LIKE Spongebob!" She shrieks, rolling her eyes in agony.

P. doesn't get what the fuss is all about. He, bless his heart, has no inkling about my Spongebob issues (how I think he is not a cartoon for small children - or ANY children, for that matter, and that this has been much discussed in our household). He just wanted to show Iris his cool new ball. Isn't she great? My teaching apparently has taken root..... I love it!

And of course, Iris' best moment so far this week was this:

She finally worked up the courage, after many failed attempts, to ask C. if she could have a ride in his jeep. I'm so proud of her bravery! She had a total blast. I wish you could have seen how adorable they looked going around the circle together. Truly, the highlight of her day!

3 comments:

Sara said...

have i mentioned how much i LOVE this blog-journal thing your doing??!!.. yeah, those BIG conversations are fun to think about for a minute, and then scary when you see their lives flash before your eyes!! and okay, i LOVE the spongebob story!! you know, we've talked about this before.... zion has been into it again lately--always pointing out spongebob and acting like he LOVES it, when in reality he's NEVER watched the show (maybe 10 seconds of one...) and he KNOWS he's not supposed to!! he'll tell me he loves spongebob and wants to get spongebob stuff.... UHH!!!! drives me CRAZY!! (but honestly, it's kinda funny... at least he KNOWS the truth, and he's just kinda teasing me:) i can hear iris saying, "we don't like spongebob!" i love it!!!... that's SO fun that lydia is interacting more and more and becoming a little person:) how cute!!! thanks for the post--i'm still cracking up at all of it!:)

Meghan said...

Doesn't it seem that if you tell them they can't watch a certain show or play with a certain thing etc...they become obsessed with it? Iris also points out Spongebob EVERYWHERE and talks about him constantly. Spongebob gets talked about a lot in our house actually. She's never watched a show either - it comes on after Backyardigans, and I had to have the "We don't watch Spongebob..." conversation with her just in case I happened to not be around when it did. I love that she still just takes me at my word and believes everything I say.

Sarah said...

Kris and I love looking at your blog. When you put a video on there I actually have Noah watch. He looks at the computer and scream, "IRIS!" I think that once we get back from vacation I'm going to start posting more. You've given me so many good ideas. Noah is saying and doing so many cute things, that I want everyone else to enjoy them just as much as we do. You are doing a wonderful thing for Todd, and those flowers were gorgeous! What a husband and Daddy! You're an incredible woman and mother.