We had a rather dramatic episode happen during lunch today.
I sliced up an orange for Iris to eat with her peanut butter sandwich. Innocent enough, right? I get Iris settled at the table and start feeding Lydia. She likes to stick her fingers in her mouth, so we usually feed with one hand and hold her hands down with the other. Everything is proceeding normally. All of a sudden, I happen to notice that Lydia has little welts like mosquito bites forming on the top of her fingers all the way up her arm. That's strange, I think to myself, but continue feeding away. We finish up and I'm wiping her face and when I go to wipe her little hands I see that she is starting to be COVERED in these welts and they're getting bigger and now her face is starting to break out as well. Suddenly, it clicks - I didn't wash my hands after I sliced that orange and I bet she's having an allergic reaction to the juice! Everywhere I touched her was covered in bright red hives. So what did I do? Well, I called my sister of course! She is always so helpful in situations like these (thanks Em). She suggested washing her down (I did) and calling my doctor to see about whether Lydia could take some Benedryl (I did and she could). Disaster averted! I put her down for a nap, and by the time she woke up the welts had faded away completely. Can you believe it? Our little miss sensitive skin was totally unperturbed during the whole ordeal. I, although outwardly fairly calm, was inwardly freaking out just a teensy bit. I mean, if TOUCHING her could provoke such a reaction, can you imagine what might happen if she EATS one?!?
Lesson learned: Oranges, while seemingly harmless fruit, can be very, very dangerous.....
I sliced up an orange for Iris to eat with her peanut butter sandwich. Innocent enough, right? I get Iris settled at the table and start feeding Lydia. She likes to stick her fingers in her mouth, so we usually feed with one hand and hold her hands down with the other. Everything is proceeding normally. All of a sudden, I happen to notice that Lydia has little welts like mosquito bites forming on the top of her fingers all the way up her arm. That's strange, I think to myself, but continue feeding away. We finish up and I'm wiping her face and when I go to wipe her little hands I see that she is starting to be COVERED in these welts and they're getting bigger and now her face is starting to break out as well. Suddenly, it clicks - I didn't wash my hands after I sliced that orange and I bet she's having an allergic reaction to the juice! Everywhere I touched her was covered in bright red hives. So what did I do? Well, I called my sister of course! She is always so helpful in situations like these (thanks Em). She suggested washing her down (I did) and calling my doctor to see about whether Lydia could take some Benedryl (I did and she could). Disaster averted! I put her down for a nap, and by the time she woke up the welts had faded away completely. Can you believe it? Our little miss sensitive skin was totally unperturbed during the whole ordeal. I, although outwardly fairly calm, was inwardly freaking out just a teensy bit. I mean, if TOUCHING her could provoke such a reaction, can you imagine what might happen if she EATS one?!?
Lesson learned: Oranges, while seemingly harmless fruit, can be very, very dangerous.....
4 comments:
that is CRAZY!!.... paige has pretty sensitive skin, but nothing like that has ever happened to her!... i'm glad you got it taken care of, and i guess i'm not surprised that lydia wasn't perturbed by it--doesn't seem like much bothers her!:) thanks for sharing!...
Oh I'm so glad that when she woke up, her welts were gone! I meant to ask about it when I called to have my meltdown over the computer but was being a little bit self absorbed! Did the benadryl help interfere with her nap at all? Poor little thing!
Nah, her nap was normal. Benedryl didn't make her sleepier.....
WOW!! I can't believe her little skin is that sensitive. I loved how you said that your were outwardly fairly calm, but inwardly freaking out. I probably would have been freaking out completely and I'm a nurse!
Post a Comment