Monday, April 28, 2008

Little Greenie

Our Iris is an environmentalist. She truly cares about keeping the world clean.

Last year around this time we went out to Boston to visit some friends. Meghan and I still joke about Iris shouting “OOPSIE!” in the car rental parking lot after the guy in front of us "missed" the trash can when cleaning out some stuff from his car in the parking lot.

Iris had another shining moment after church yesterday. We were in the drive-through line at Jack In the Box, and she happened to notice a stray drink cup in the parking lot. That sparked the discussion: We don’t leave our trash just laying around. Someone was going to have to pick that up. To which my delightful little pal replied: “maybe us.”

So we did. We picked it up, and (after having a a conversation about how we don’t drink out of any cups that aren’t ours) took it to the nearest trash can.

This little incident got me thinking. My two year old can get it right, but we adults don’t seem to. I could start with the guy who left the cup there to begin with. I could talk about everyone else who drove right by it without even giving it a second thought. Or I could focus on myself - I surely wouldn’t have stopped and picked it up if it wasn’t for my 3 foot tall side-kick contributing to my conscience.

What a task to keep the environmentally-wise mind of my daughter intact. And how easily she could be lulled into my own laziness and apathy.

4 comments:

Sara said...

what a great story! it's SO true--there are so many things we could do to help our environment, but mostly we're just too lazy to do anything that might be a little inconvenient. Our Wal-Mart's, here in Joplin, are selling the recyclable shopping bags... I decided I'm going to start buying some and using them! One cashier I talked w/ was not one bit happy about the change--just b/c they're already doing it on the west coast--those flaming liberals!! what a shame.... we should be MORE like Iris--thanks for sharing!

Meghan said...

That IS a good idea - I have seen people using them at the Shop N' Save here, but maybe I should look at Walmart also. I think it would be a great way to set an example for the kiddos AND an easy way for them to help as well!

Emily said...

Oh I love that she cares! We use the canvas bags. Our Kroger store sells them for $.99 a bag and buy three get one free. I actually LOVE them because they hold waaaay more stuff. Five bags does my whole list. Then its Owen or Ava's job to remind me to take them into Target or Walmart or other stores when we go. What a great story!

Sharon L. Holland said...

I still have vivid memories about my mother's reproof when I threw a can in the lake. She was playful about it, but I don't think I ever did it again.

BTW, Iris and Lydia are two of our favorite names for girls, and were only just edged out on the baby name list by the names we eventually chose.