Saturday, April 19, 2008

Earthquake!

We had an interesting experience yesterday morning. Todd and I both woke up around 4:30 am to our bed vibrating and shaking like crazy. It felt a lot like when they blast from the rock quarry down the road only it kept going and going..... We laid together for a moment silently (and groggily) trying to figure out what could possibly be going on.

"What is that!?" Todd whispered.
"I don't know," I answered. The thought 'earthquake' passed through my mind for a second, but was just as quickly rejected as too fantastical. We live in the Midwest for goodness sakes! (I know we live on a huge faultline, but honestly...) More silence as we lay waiting for the tremors to stop still in that weird limbo between sleeping and waking. Was this happening? Were we dreaming? And then, which I think is so funny, we both went back to sleep. No getting up to check the news, check the kids, check the house etc.... Thankfully it wasn't a TRUE emergency!

Of course, the next morning I watched the news, and sure enough (incredibly!) what we had been feeling were shock waves from an earthquake measuring 5.2 on the Richter scale that had happened on the Illinois/Indiana border over 300 miles away. So, it was definitely very exciting times for a Friday morning!

1 comment:

Hope said...

Hey Meghan! I checked out your family blog today to catch up on The Bumgarners. Thought your earthquake post was funny because I just posted about it on my blog too. We are just 50 miles from the epicenter, so our experience was a little different from yours. You can check it out if you have time, I just started it a few weeks ago so there's not much on it yet. It's my personal blog and we are working on getting a family one going once we get a good camera to post pictures. Your girls are getting so big and are so beautiful! I'll have to check in here more often to keep updated with all things Bumgarner. We miss you all!
Hope Vogel