In light of the fact that less than a year from now we will be putting our house on the market in preparation for our move to Lincoln, we've been taking stock of our little home sweet home over the last few weeks, making a master list of things that we feel need to be fixed/improved/installed (hello, basement ceiling!) before we're ready to sell.
And we've decided to start knocking items off that list as soon as possible. Partly because we want the improvements done so that we can actually enjoy the fruits of our labor before we have to give up the house, and partly because it's winter, and I'm itching for a project or twelve. I'm pretty sure it's genetic, this desperate craving to always be in the midst of some household renovation, to not feel completely satisfied unless up to the elbows in paint or spackle or sawdust, to get insanely excited at the prospect of a project. Seriously, I really honestly cannot remember a time in my life that my parents have not been renovating something, whether it's been a house or a car or a piece of property. Right now it's a house. So see? I don't really have a choice. It's in the blood. Luckily, Todd's pretty handy and more than willing (usually) to tackle anything I might suggest. And whatever he can't handle, my dad can, as he happens to be the handiest dad ever!
So. First project up was painting our living room/entryway.
We've been slowly neutralizing our house over the last few months, painting first the bathrooms and then the bedrooms various shades of taupe. Buyers love neutral shades, right? This has made a HUGE improvement over the red, orange, and puke brown that were in those rooms to begin with. I'm always asking myself why (WHY!) we ever thought those colors in particular would be good choices to cover our walls. And how did we live with them for five years before making a change? Yikes!
Here's the Before:
So. First project up was painting our living room/entryway.
We've been slowly neutralizing our house over the last few months, painting first the bathrooms and then the bedrooms various shades of taupe. Buyers love neutral shades, right? This has made a HUGE improvement over the red, orange, and puke brown that were in those rooms to begin with. I'm always asking myself why (WHY!) we ever thought those colors in particular would be good choices to cover our walls. And how did we live with them for five years before making a change? Yikes!
Here's the Before:
Our walls up until a few days ago have been a deep yellow mustardy color. But not mustard yellow in a good way. Mustard yellow gone way, way wrong. A yellow so hideous that I am pretty sure it has been causing me to go slowly crazy over the last few years, an idea that causes Todd much laughter, but I am positive is true.
Here's the After:
Here's the After:
It didn't turn out too bad. I didn't particularly care for the shade at first, I must admit. This taupe is the exact same color that we used in our basement, and we love it down there, but for some reason, on our upstairs walls it looked like it had too much gray in it. Too much gray for our yellow-based decor. For a while I wondered if maybe we had made an even graver mistake using this taupe than we had with the yellow. However, with just a few accessory changes, our living room looks much, much better, and the color is growing on me. I can't get over how light and bright our house looks now! Unfortunately, all that lightness and brightness makes our kitchen, which we have not painted yet, look extremely, well...yellow. Alas, the kitchen, our last painting frontier, is a bit farther down on our list due to the fact that there is a lot of work besides painting that needs to be done in there. I only want to have to move the appliances once!
Part Two: Crown molding in the girls' bedroom
Part Two: Crown molding in the girls' bedroom
4 comments:
Can I just say - HOLY COW!!! I have always admired the colors in your house - it fit you so perfectly (as I've told you before I LOVE your sense of style!) This makes your house look so different. But it's actually making me think that I need more color - Hummm? You did an amazing job as usual. Now I can't wait to see it in person!
Oh Meghan, I LOVE it. You know I coveted your yellow and even tried it in the kids playroom (which, as you know, did not look good AT ALL.) But it totally changes the look of your house. WOW. What a difference changing colors makes.
Don't you love a great project? I'm trying to find matching cobblestone for the sidewalk that is only half finished but Home Depot has apparently decided to get rid of them. Yikes. Maybe I'll paint the basement instead...
So long, puke yellow.
Next project please.
It's sort of funny to me that you crave a project. I grew up with a carpenter daddy who was always doing projects. As a result, I crave a completely finished house with no projects at all! Well, I suppose when the girls are teenagers a good Saturday morning banging project is in order, seeing as how we never got to sleep past 7 o'clock for all the sawing and hammering going on!
I loved your yellow too, but I love the way it turned out also! Painting is so much work, but the difference is always so fun to see! Great job and I can't wait to see the rest of the projects.
By the way, I spent MONTHS painstakingly cutting and putting in ceiling tile after ceiling tile after ceiling tile, etc. I think I got a little headache when you mentioned that up and coming project. :)
Post a Comment