Saturday, January 10, 2009

A Trip to the History Museum

This morning we took the girls to visit the History Museum in Forest Park, something we've been wanting to do for awhile but haven't gotten around to. Todd and I haven't been there since the first year we lived here - shameful!

It was well worth the trip. We all had so much fun! But I will say this: we didn't realize that we weren't supposed to be taking pictures in the exhibit rooms until the very end - after we'd taken all our pictures! Ooops!


This is the statue of Thomas Jefferson that greeted us as we walked into the lobby. Pretty impressive!


The "Spirit of St. Louis" - the plane Charles Lindbergh used in his solo flight across the Atlantic.


Iris tried out some of her best moves on a huge floor map of the World's Fair.


We girls got up close and personal with a mini replica of the Ferris Wheel from the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.


Lydia liked testing out the teeter-totter while enjoying her snack.


These chairs were Iris' favorite thing. She couldn't get enough of them! She is a true Cardinal at heart.

We finished up our morning with lunch at Meriwether's, the museum's restaurant:


The hostess handed out sticker packets to the girls to pass the time before our food arrived. Daddy and Iris had a great time getting creative.


Lydia wasted no time trying out the complimentary crackers.


The incredible view of the Park from the restaurant windows!

Both my parents, especially my dad, are passionate history buffs. I always remember our trips to museums or to visit landmarks and national historic sites as magical because it seems we got to live, and breathe, and experience what we were seeing just through their sheer enthusiasm and incredible knowledge of the past. When I was little, my hero was Laura Ingalls Wilder. How I desperately wanted to be her, running carefree over the prairies. I absolutely think that one of the greatest legacies I've received from my parents has been a deep and abiding love for history.

I want to give the same to my own girls.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time. I have only been there once and need to go back. You guys do such fun outings!

And I just have to add that you look stunning in the new photo on the sidebar! I know I commented on your hair at our last playdate (even when I was crabby), but you hair looks amazing! Whoever did it did a great job - I love all the layers.

Emily said...

What a fun way to spend the morning! Was that a curl I see on Lydia eating crackers? Isn't the love for history the best legacy we could have gotten? Your illicit photos are great - even if you weren't supposed to be taking any!

Meghan said...

Sarah-
Thanks for the compliment about the hair. I went to the Cutting Room (Block? I can never remember what it's called) on Bryan Road - I think Jamie was the stylist. You know me, I never make appointments - I like to take the hit or miss route, keeps things exciting. This means about every fourth time I get a decent cut!