Anyhow, the topic comes up often since it IS the summertime and many dogs are out and about with their absentminded (I'm trying to be kind) owners. Todd and I actually had a rather heated discussion about this very thing on Friday as we were getting ready to go to the 4th of July parade. Which is why later in the day as we were driving home I found it funny to be having a conversation about pets with my darling daughter. You know that saying about kids being like sponges? Well, it's true.
Iris: (piping up from the backseat) Mommy, we need a pet.
Me: (laughing, looking at Todd with eyebrows raised) We do, do we? What kind of pet do you think we need?
Iris: (brightly, eyes wide) A goldfish would be a good pet, mommy.
Me: A goldfish? Why do you think a goldfish would make a good pet?
Iris: (helpfully) Goldfishes don't poop and pee, mommy.
Isn't she a sweet and thoughtful lovely to try and accommodate my obsessive compulsiveness in her choice for a pet? She obviously has been paying attention. It almost makes me want to get her one.........almost.
4 comments:
Emily could have written the exact same commentary about dogs and "absentminded" owners! We live on the corner with the fire hydrant, so I can empathize with your position. Pets are overrated!
But a goldfish DOES pee and poop, and then you have to spend an hour once a month trying to catch the darn thing, put it in another bowl, scrub out the nasty bowl and then try not to kill the stupid thing when putting him back.(Can you tell I don't love our fishies?)
Sweet Iris, you'll never be able to overcome the compulsive behavior in this crazy family! Good try though, sweetie!
how funny!... we had a fish once... i can't believe it actually lived through having us as owners! i was really good, at first, cleaning out the bowl, feeding it, etc. however, when i realized i could go longer, and longer and longer without cleaning the bowl and feeding it and it lived--i did!... well, when we moved i didn't think it worth the hassle of moving it with us, no one was all that attached... and i was right, no one even asked me what happened, and i'll never tell!...:)
So glad to hear that we are not alone. Our girls pretty much know that they will never have a pet, including fish. I do good to feed and clean the children in this house, can't imagine how neglected pets would be! Oh, and I won't even get started on the whole "depositing" in other people's yards thing.
Post a Comment