Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Fireman Iris and a Soon-To-Be Crawling Baby

Most people associate firemen with stuff like....oh, fighting fires, rescuing small kittens from trees, helping people.....you know, keeping our communities safe. They're not really known for their dancing. In fact, stellar dancing skills are probably not required to actually become a fireman. Not so at good ol' Station #9 (a.k.a Our House). Stellar dancing skills are definitely a requirement here. Check out Fireman Iris busting a move:

I bet you were expecting a video clip....well, I was going to....but Fireman Iris wanted me to sing along with her, and I was feeling a bit shy about you all hearing my voice. We were singing "Scotland's Burning", by they way. Do any of you Geneva folk remember doing that as a warm-up song in Chorus with Mrs. A? For whatever reason, it popped into my head today and I started belting it out during some playtime with the girls. Iris thought it was the greatest song ever. We probably sang it a hundred times while she danced up a storm...I mean, fire........

And here's Lydia.....on her hands and knees! This past week she has been trying really hard to figure out this crawling thing. We've been working with her, showing her how to move her arms and legs, and she's so excited she can barely stand it! Her one wish in the world at this point in her life is to be mobile. Rolling everywhere (which she does well) just isn't enough for Lydia. She wants to be able to chase after her big sister. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer.......

9 comments:

Hope said...

Oh, I am so glad there is someone else who belts out songs with their children that they would never be caught dead singing in public! Well, I would never be caught dead singing in public period because I can't carry a tune, but you actually can sing. At least your children probably will remember it as a pleasant experience! :) Looks like Iris has such a cute personality, so much fun to be with.

About Lydia, you're actually teaching her to crawl? What good parents. We were too tired to teach Odelia. I think we might have actually discouraged her, just for a few more months of "baby bliss."

Emily said...

Scotlands burning, Scotlands burning. . .FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE!

Right? Isn't that how it goes? But I can't remember the rest of it! Iris looks like the dancing queen from Saturday Night Fever. . Maybe you should get her some hot pants and a glittery gold head band, some roller skates? She is a riot!

Lydia is going to be one the move! I can not believe how sturdy she seems on her little knees. Look out Iris! Your playmate is on the way!

Meghan said...

Hope-

I do love to belt out tunes - I'm almost ashamed to admit how much! I actually really like all those kiddie tunes! Lydia NEEDS to crawl...she is SO frustrated by not being able to get around quickly! I think it would improve her temperament these days if she could.:)

Em - That's totally how it goes! Iris would really like the hot pants/roller skate combo -she's in awe of rollerskating - she thinks it's the coolest thing ever.

Anonymous said...

Lydia's going to CRAWL! Oh- she's growing so fast. I really like this because I feel like I at least check in with them weekly. Hopefully when the kids all get older (what an excuse uh?) we can get together more often. It's just hard to travel w/ little ones and my patience is running way thin w/ 3 of them! Iris is so cute, too. It looks like you girls are having an awesome summer together. Keep on singing and dancin'!

Sara said...

i love this! i can't wait to show zion--he's so fascinated w/ firefighters and police officers right now!! so, he'll get a kick out of iris:) (i'm sure he'll be wanting a hat like hers!) and meghan, you like to sing that much, huh??... i never knew!!!.... that is AWESOME!!! we love singing around here too--we make up songs sometimes, if there isn't a good one for the occasion:) i'm glad lydia is getting mobile--it's always so great b/c you're right, they do sometimes get frustrated when they're not getting anywhere! maddox is all over the place now--he's getting the crawling thing down and really wanting to stand up and get going too! it's so fun:) thanks for the funny post!!

Meghan said...

Jen- We WILL have to get together with the kids soon...I bet Treyton is getting so big! We'll have to try out meeting in Kansas City later this summer.

Sara- We make up songs too...I would be sooo embarrassed some days if anyone heard me! Will Maddox be walking the next time we see you guys?? I can't wait to see more pictures/video!!

Anonymous said...

I think it might be time to introduce Fireman Iris to Fireman Nick (the real fireman). I'll have to find a Saturday that he's working so we can take her down and see the big fire engines.

I was also pondering teaching the young-punk-male version of Scotland's Burning in which following: FIRE FIRE FIRE FIRE, we called change POUR ON WATER, POUR ON WATER to POUR ON GAS, POUR ON GAS.

Oh to be a young-punk-male.

Meghan said...

Todd-I think introducing Fireman Iris to Fireman Nick sounds like a good idea.

Now...about these young punk males....where are you hearing about young punk males who like to pour gas instead of water on fires? Do you have a secret life I don't know about?? :)

Coach A said...

Meghan,
I am a friend of your sister's (Emily). I feel like I know you because she talks about you all of the time! I hope this does not creep you out that I am looking at your blog... I had to put a face with your name! Your family is adorable..I dance and sing with my kids all of the time too but, I would not post a video either! :)